Saturday, December 4, 2010

Discussion: Chapters 1-6, Pride and Prejudice

How exciting! It is the end of "Week One"! I can't wait to start discussing the book!

So... Pride and Prejudice is one of my very favorite books! Which I am sure that you already knew :)

For those of you who didn't have time to read along, I attached a link of a very good summary :)

Hahaha! Just Kidding!
Why would I do that.

To make it easier, I copied and pasted the summary from Chapters 1-6 right here so you could go ahead and read it.

This summary is one of my favorites, very short and to the point!


ENJOY!!!



In Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen tackles a common reality in England in the early 19th century – women who lack a fortune need to marry well. And by "well," we mean wealthy. So any guy from a good family with large, steady income is fair game on the Marriage Hunt. Rich but unintelligent, unattractive, boring men? Mrs. Bennet says, "Bring it on!" To be fair, she does have five daughters who lack a fortune. When a certain (wealthy) Mr. Bingley moves into the neighborhood and is interested in her eldest daughter, Jane, Mrs. Bennet becomes deliriously happy and (to the extreme discomfort of her family and innocent spectators) tries to push them together in every way possible.

It’s not all roses and champagne just yet, however. While Mr. Bingley is easygoing and pleasant, his sisters are catty snobs whose attitude is encouraged by a certain Mr. Darcy. Good-looking, rich, and close friends with Mr. Bingley, Darcy is also insufferably proud and haughty. The Bennets are beneath him in social stature, so Mr. Darcy is proportionately disagreeable, particularly to Jane’s younger sister Elizabeth. When Mr. Bingley suggests that Mr. Darcy ask Elizabeth to dance, Mr. Darcy replies that she isn’t pretty enough. The two men accidentally carry on their conversation within earshot of Elizabeth. Ouch.

It’s clear to everyone that Mr. Bingley is falling in love with Jane, but Jane’s calm temperament hides her true feelings (she loves him too). Elizabeth gossips about the situation with her close friend Charlotte Lucas, who argues that Jane needs to show affection or risk losing Mr. Bingley. Meanwhile, Mr. Darcy has finished maligning Elizabeth, and starts becoming attracted to her. Something about her "fine eyes."

So I tried to make a discussion question for each chapter:


Chapter 1 :
Mrs.Bennet loves her daughters very much but this chapter describes her as "the business of her life was to get her daughters married." How would you like a mother who only thought of marrying you off?

...If I had a mother like Mrs.Bennet, I would be happy that she cares for me but if she kept forcing me to think about marriage she would probably become overbearing. I wouldn't want our relationship to suffer just because a "fine gentleman caller" came to town :))) I would try to convince her that I'll get married when I feel the need is right. I would also try to convince her to take up other hobbies, such as knitting.

Chapter 2 :
 In this chapter Mr.Bennet plays a trick on the ladies of his household, did you find his trick terribly rude or rather amusing? :)))
 I suppose that it was fair for Mr.Bennet to play a trick on his family. They were putting so much pressure on him to make a visit to Mr.Bingley that it would seem like the end of the world if he didn't. Having the stress of trying to get all your daughters married, it seems that it was fair for Mr.Bennet to have some sort of amusment while his wife was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off :)



Chapters 3&4 :
Imagine you are Elizabeth and your oldest sister Jane  was getting all the attention. she even danced with one of the most eligible bachelors, not once, but twice. While you, were just tolerable. In chapter 4, Lizzy express happiness for her sister about this situation. Would you be able to express the same happiness?

If I were Elizabeth and my older sister were getting all the attention, I think I would be very jealous. I wouldn't be able to share her happiness.  I would keep my jealousy to myself, so as not to hurt her feelings. However, If I had gotten some attention, it would probably be easier for me to truly share her happiness.

Chapter 5
In this chapter Charlotte Lucas mocks Elizabeth in front of her sister, Jane. If you were Jane, would you defend your sister? And if so, how would you defend her differently than Jane did?

If I were Jane, I would not be able to keep such a  calm manner, I would probably be yelling and defending her in such a way that I would embarrass not only myself, but my entire family also. I would not only defend Lizzy, but truthfully, I would probably start insulting Charlotte :) What can I say? I know that isn't the best way to respond, but if we were being honest....that's most likely to happen.

Chapter 6
"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance."
-Charlotte Lucas
In what ways do you agree or disagree with this statement?

I disagree with this statement completely. Charlotte Lucas has no idea what happiness is. I understand that in that time, marriages were sometimes arranged and mothers and fathers forced their children to marry for social status. Also, some people {still today} only care about money and try to marry wealthy. However, if Charlotte Lucas really knew what happiness was, she wouldn't have such a hard time believing in it. Marriages should be based off both love and happiness. I f you are not happy with the one you love, then do you really love them? Charlotte Lucas may have a lot going for her, but thinking in a negative way will not get her anywhere. You'll see <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------
So....I cannot wait to hear your thoughts! I'll be sharing mine  through comments this morning and late this evening and I'll go over them all on Sunday :)))


 P.S. I love the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice {with Keira Knightley} and therefore use most of my pictures from the newer movie :)))

Optimistically, Bethany Lea

4 comments:

  1. Just to get this going...Question #1...If I had a mother like Mrs.Bennet, I would be happy that she cares for me but if she kept forcing me to think about marriage she would probably become overbearing. I wouldn't want our relationship to suffer just because a "fine gentleman caller" came to town :))) I would try to convince her that I'll get married when I feel the need is right. I would also try to convince her to take up other hobbies, such as knitting. <3 Can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no fan of this type of book, I am warning you now, but so far it is going nicely. I haven't read it before so I can't give to much analysis. I thought that the beginning of the book was very well written. Rather than bring exposition it jumped right into the story, always a good sign in a book. As far as question one goes, I would say that this is a traditional function of a mother in those days, especially among the wealthy. But Mrs. Bennet would probably get a bit annoying in no time flat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure if I'd like this book, but so far it's not so bad. To answer question #1 I think it would be very annoying to have a mother whose goal in life was to marry me off to some wealthy guy. But like Calie said, I'm sure it was pretty normal during that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for commenting! OK. I'm going to go back, edit my post, and share my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete